What is the value of the PEF and PEFCR?
There is a plethora of methodologies, certifications, and product labels used in the apparel & footwear industry.
The Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) is a methodology measuring the environmental footprint of products following similar rules across the European Union.
The PEF methodology offers a science-based, standardised framework to help the entire industry speak the same language when talking about environmental impacts.
> It ensures consistency and comparability for product environmental footprints by enabling the industry to evaluate products’ environmental impacts following unique rules for calculations.
> It is comprehensive, evaluating products along 16 environmental indicators to better understand the hotspots and opportunities for improving the environmental impacts of products.
> Ultimately, it improves decision-making for all.
Using a standardised science-based approach provides clarity.
- Companies can measure, understand, and improve the environmental impacts of their products.
- When displayed, consumers are able to make more informed choices.
The PEF Category Rules (PEFCR) for the apparel & footwear industry are:
- Developed by a multi-stakeholder working group, called the Technical Secretariat
- Completed with inputs from two public consultations and several expert reviews
- Validated by the European Commission
- And it creates five benefits for the industry: